This weekend was a crazy one in the world of Austin Cupcakes. Jennie Chen organized the Austin Cupcake Smackdown 1.0 which brought together dozens of local bakers in a blind taste testing competition to see who’s cupcakes would reign supreme (similar to Foodingblog’s very own cupcake tasting challenge located here).
Foodingblog played a part in this incredible event as Peter was selected to be a judge in the Amateur baking competition and he was also interviewed during the coverage of the Austin Cupcake Smackdown by FOX 7 Austin here (fast forward to 2:50 it see his interview on Giovanni’s vegan Dulce sin Leche cupcakes).
If you missed either the Pre Party or the Smackdown event itself, don’t worry. Foodingblog has you covered. Peter brought his camera along to both events to get a behind the scenes look at the events of the weekend.
Oh yea – what about the results? You can see them for yourself on the Cupcake Smackdown Wrap-up report here – I think that you’ll find that Austin agreed with the results of Foodingblog’s own investigations…
Selected Smackdown Pre Party Photos
- Walton’s Fancy and Staple Home of the Cupcake Smackdown Pre Party
- Inside Walton’s getting ready for filming
- Dogs waiting to get their Doggie cupcakes
- Fox 7 Interviewing participants in the Cupcake Smackdown
- Cupcakes from various vendors around town including Wicked, Walton’s, Cupprimo, L’s, and more.
- Jennie getting some camera time
- Stumpy the Dog
- Thanks for your hard work Jennie
Selected Austin Cupcake Smackdown 1.0 Photos
- A closeup of cupcakes from the Amateur Competition
- My completed judges scorecard from the Amateur competition
- Plate after plate of cupcake piled up on the judge’s table. We sampled 27 different pieces of cupcake and I had the biggest sugar rush ever. All told, I probably at 10-12 cupcakes between the Pre Party and the judging
- An excited dog getting ready for the dog cupcake eating competition
- Rusty the Dog likes doggie biscuits
- One 2 One Bar – rooftop terrace
- Cupcakes with heart shaped Strawberries
- Cupprimo representing on the One 2 One rooftop terrace
- Wicked Cupcakes – mini cupcakes
Photos by Peter Tsai