One of the most common components in mixed drink is simple syrup, which as the name suggests, is very simple to make. Simple syrup is just a mixture of water and sugar, but the secret ingredient is a little bit of heat.
Because sugar and water don’t mix completely in cold drinks, it’s important to heat the water when mixing in the sugar to ensure that the sugar dissolves completely. Using simple syrup instead of mixing in the sugar into every drink also saves a lot of time and energy if you are going to mix up a lot of drinks.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- a stirring device
Here’s how to make it:
- Add water to a pot and heat on high until it boils, reduce heat to medium.
- Add the sugar to water and stir.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and the water becomes yellowish and clear.
- Remove the simple syrup mixture from the heat to cool.
- You can now mix your drink or bottle the simple syrup for later.
Check out the picture gallery below for a visual.
All photos courtesy of Peter Tsai Photography